Re: Simplified -- Re: Quick pointer please? Installing Intel wireless, post OS installation

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 20:24:40 +0000
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 22 Feb 2019 at 14:50:29 -0500, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 19:10:45 +0000
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Firmware (free or non-free) goes in /lib/firmware.
> >
> > Just to clarify, that's if he's manually installing the firmware files.
> > If he has the appropriate .deb (e.g., firmware-iwlwifi), then it's just
> > a matter of dpkg -i firmware_package.
>
> The advice is spot-on, whether or not files are put there by the user or
> a .deb. That is where the kernel looks.

Of course, but an ordinary user doesn't have to know anything about
that, if he's installing from Debian packages. The whole point (well,
one of the points) of a package management system is that it abstracts
away some of the technical implementation details from the end user.

> Incidentally, can you find a firmware-iwlwifi* suitable for the OP?

No idea. But the first thing I'd try is installing firmware-iwlwifi,
and seeing if that's enough to get the card working. Intel's own
website seems to imply that the 8265 chipset requires only
iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode (present in the Debian package) to work:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Celejar