Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:12:37 +0000
Paul Sutton <zleap@disroot.org> wrote:

> On 17/02/2019 06:51, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
> > "Juan R. de Silva" <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
> >> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
> >>
> >> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
> >> capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
> >> size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
> >> group.
> >>
> >> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
> >> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
> >> text reading.
> > Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also access
> > NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned NNTP
> > and pan a year ago.

> You can configure Thunderbird to use plain text (compose and send) and
> also set it up so it treats html as text and not display all the
> internal content,  logos, pictures and other nonsense people insist on
> sending, sometimes replying to an html e-mail results in the reply being
> html unless you set it up or notice.

Why go to all that trouble?  Claws does all that by default.  An
html email displays as plain text.  No code. However, there is a
plugin html interpreter if you need must see the html version in all its
wasteful, artsy-fartsy glory.

As far as I can tell, replying to an html email with Claws results in
the reply being sent plain text only.

> No idea what happens at the other end, causes all sorts of issues at
> both ends as it is.

I don't know either, but I've never had anyone, even MS Outlook users,
complain they can't read my emails.