Re: Setting default $PATH for all users

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 09:07:13PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 08 Feb 2019 at 10:08:49 (-0500), Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > By my problem definition, any thing in /home/user is not relevant as I
> > > explicitly want something that affects all current and future users.
> >
> > Everybody, no matter what?
> >
> > pam_env can do that.
> >
> > PAM is the pluggable authentication module system, and controls
> > all sorts of logins.
> >
> > man pam_env  for instructions.
>
> Good point. And I notice that /etc/pam.d/lightdm talks about
>
>     # Load environment from /etc/environment and ~/.pam_environment
>     session      required pam_env.so readenv=1
>     session      required pam_env.so readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale
>
> so experimenting with those files might be an idea.
>
> BTW I notice that /etc/security/pam_env.conf contains a line that can
> *set* the PATH, but only contains "PATH", not "PATH=". So I'm afraid
> the OP should be searching /etc for USER rather than USER=, even
> though this will output a lot more noise.

As already stated, PAM is an interesting alternative to the X11 path
pursued in another fork of this thread: interesting mainly because
it applies /also/ to other access --um-- paths to the computer (Linux
console, ssh, (ugh!) telnet -- basically everything which eventually
asks PAM for access permission).

It is thus more "universal" than the X11 --um-- path.

Cheers
-- tomás