Re: Systemd files on a Raspberry Pi

Hi,

On 10/2/19 11:17 pm, Reco wrote:
>> Okay, I've watched it now.  I am not convinced that his idea of
>> "create this or that yourself" is a fair retort.
>
> There are historical precedents. AIX's init inspired Solaris' SMF
> which in turn inspired systemd.

Not SMF -> systemd ... according to the video.  More inspired by
Apple's launchd

>> I still consider that systemd has caused considerable harm to
>> Debian as well as the general Linux community.
>
> Those who do not want systemd are free not to use it. And Debian is
> one of the few Linux distributions which provides such choice.

If all goes to Pot, then choice will be lessened as projects make it
too difficult to maintain versions of their code sans systemd.

>> The "Unix is dead" comment was interesting.
>
> AIX and Solaris (well, AIX mostly) are begging to differ. Free
> software Unix (if such thing ever existed) - that's dead for sure.

There is at least the BSD variants, are they really dead too?

>> Has it really has become Linux or nothing?
>
> No. See SCO vs IBM case. Linux is not Unix, and never has been.

We also have Luminos varieties... SmartOS and others.

>> It is a pity that Oracle has their licensing problems in relation
>> to ZFS
>
> Please blame Sun Microsystems for *that*. Oracle's merely keeping
> the status-quo.

Yes, but Oracle could fix that if they wanted to.

The JAVA fiasco that Oracle hope to profit from royally from Google is
another box of pox.

>> and there are great alternative implementations now;
>
> You mean, ZFS-on-Linux? It's a fork of OpenSolaris' ZFS
> implementation, not something that's written from scratch.

Maybe so, but it isn't limited to Sun (or now Oracle systems).  And it
isn't limited to Linux as opposed to BSD variants or Luminos variants.

Kind Regards
AndrewM