Re: Systemd files on a Raspberry Pi

Hi,

On 10/2/19 6:44 pm, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> On 10/2/19 10:28 am, chris wrote:
>> so relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
>
> I've seen references to that video and have not yet watched it.
>
> I also understand that people have differing views on what the
> presenter concludes or rather the real purpose of the talk.

Okay, I've watched it now.  I am not convinced that his idea of
"create this or that yourself" is a fair retort.  Entire working
systems have been butchered, for better or worse.  And now we have
competing thoughts on what is best moving forward.  I have not
converted, not that I expected the video to be able to convince me.

I still consider that systemd has caused considerable harm to Debian
as well as the general Linux community.  Not using systemd is fine;
and I know that there are other excellent ways to monitor and restart
services without systemd.

The changes were not necessary, systemd is, even as a collection,
bloatware.

The "Unix is dead" comment was interesting.  Has it really has become
Linux or nothing?  I don't think so, but the fragmentation of efforts
is not positive.

I won't use btrfs for a number of reasons, some of those reasons are
shared with systemd.  I do not think it should be Linux and only Linux
and both system and btrfs (both failed projects in my opinion) are
tied intrinsically to a single kernel (and related system), being Linux.

Now there is Linux and there is Linux, just like there are oils and
there are oils.  Choice is fine, but sometimes change is made for
entirely inappropriate reasons.

It is a pity that Oracle has their licensing problems in relation to
ZFS and there are great alternative implementations now; at least it
isn't tied down to one version or /flavour/ of an OS, so ZFS remains
positive to me.

The split of Linux with systemd and sans systemd is not good for Linux
future and I stand by my views prior to watching the video.  So sad
that it took such a major aberration to bring systemd in to more
prominence than it ever deserved.  But the damage is done and I
believe the implications are far greater than many would ever accept
having gone down the path of embracing systemd to date.

Kind Regards
AndrewM