Re: GUIs are turning into seas of grey (gnumeric)

On Saturday 09 February 2019 03:18:43 Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 09/02/2019 08:11, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 21:38:30 -0600
> > David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Hello David,
> >
> >> I can't understand why modern GUIs are composed of grey20 widgets
> >> on a grey21 background.
> >
> > Fashion.  Pure and simple.
> >
> > It's ludicrous, I agree;  We finally have near photo-realistic GFX
> > systems, and UI designers decide the best way to use them is to make
> > everything monochrome.
>
> I have made GUI applications in Tkinter and agree,  buttons are grey,
> and yet dialog boxes can have a number of icons in them, for warning,
> information,  in a mix of colours for example Yellow, red or green
> depending on the context.
>
> I am not sure if it is possible to add colour to the buttons,  I will
> look in to it.  However there should be an agreed convention otherwise
> an application with several buttons .   We should consider
> accessibility on this.
>
> Paul

As another gui builder, in this case for LinuxCNC,  the ability to add a
color to a button background could save a considerable amount of screen
real estate simply because the button could then be its own tally.
Having to compose an underlining led serving as the tally, takes a
minimum of 6 lines of vertical real estate, and a text button demanding
around 3x the height of the text is also a huge wasted space, 1 line
above and 1 line below the height of the font would be a great plenty.
I've looked at the srcs but don't know enough of that code language
to "fix" it. But I'd sure be greatfull to anyone who could fix it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)