Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

On 03.02.2019 15:01, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 03/02/2019 à 10:10, Curt a écrit :
On 2019-02-03, local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:

You may want to consider buying an USB HDD enclosure/cradle, like this
one[1] for example, they are cheap and would allow you to use a
regular internal HDD as a USB drive.

Note that this solution may require an external power supply.
It won't be necessary for 2.5" hard drives. Only 3.5" hard drives require +12V DC to function, which USB interface can not provide.

What's inside an external drive if not an internal drive?

Sometimes, a drive with a native USB interface instead of a SATA interface.

Are you sure about that? I think it won't be cost-effective to make an entirely new custom PCB for a hard drive that will have both SATA and USB controllers on-board.
In my experience it is always a regular SATA hard drive plugged in to a SATA-to-USB adapter.
The only problem with external disk drive enclosures from well known brands like WD or Seagate is they don't offer a way to open them e.g. to switch the disk drive inside.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org