Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

On 2019-02-03, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 03/02/2019 à 10:10, Curt a écrit :
>> On 2019-02-03, local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You may want to consider buying an USB HDD enclosure/cradle, like this
>>> one[1] for example, they are cheap and would allow you to use a
>>> regular internal HDD as a USB drive.
>
> Note that this solution may require an external power supply.
>
>> What's inside an external drive if not an internal drive?
>
> Sometimes, a drive with a native USB interface instead of a SATA interface.

I just read something to that effect from the Western Digital people
(who can't tell you which is which, it seems, for their products).

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=1704

You'd think the difference between a USB enclosure for an internal SATA
drive and an external USB drive with a SATA disk and interface in its
innards might be somewhat less than minimal (all else being
equal).

I've no notion whether native USB on the inside might be superior,
inferior, or simply kif-kif reliability-wise (not to mention speed).