Re: Networking Completely Failed

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 10:57:42 +0100
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
>
> > NM is a Gnome application.
>
> Are you sure? IMO it is not a gnome only tool although it is
> developed by gnome
> https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/stable/NetworkManager.html

That's what I mean. It was developed to be a standard component of
Gnome.

I know it's not Gnome-only, because I use it with Xfce on my laptops. I
use a number of Gnome and KDE applications without having installed
either DE, by which I mean software developed by the Gnome and KDE
projects and dependent on their metapackages and generally some of
their libraries.

My point was that as a dependency of Gnome (via network-manager-gnome)
it will be installed with a standard Gnome installation, and
information about network interfaces will *not* be written to /e/n/i.

Cinnamon is something of a Gnome clone, and while I have never used it,
I would expect it to depend on pretty much the same accessories as
Gnome does. If the metapackage was uninstalled, I would expect it to
pull out the dependencies also, unless separately manually installed.

Am I wrong?

--
Joe