Re: "Got notification..." message

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

On 1/26/19, Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,
I just discovred today that I have every day, in syslog, more than 100000
lines of message like:

  inetd.service: Got notification message from PID 31376, but reception
  only permitted for main PID 10222

(I didn't find any useful answer from Google)
I'm not aware of any not working program, but it's rather frustating, in
addition that syslog is unusually very big, every day.

This is coming from someone who was naive about this a half hour ago.
I knew UUID and UID were about identification so I searched "what is
pid identification linux".

Landed information that it's about "process identification"... so I
gave "ps aux" a shot by letting it run wide open. I wanted to see if
"ps" labels the columns. It does. Second column = PID.

The numbers there change CONSTANTLY depending on how we open and close
everything we do. That's another of those Life lessons learned on the
fly because things like PysolFC, Firefox, and Xfce4-terminal all
change for me constantly during each session. You always have to track
down that new number during those times you might have to do things
like... "kill". :D

The reason I'm saying that is because something else likely now bears
the numbers you shared.  It's further no shock that you couldn't find
an exact match online because that is VERY specific to your usage. If
you reboot after reading this. something else yet again possibly will
be represented by those same two figures *IF* they even appear at all.

So... maybe see if you can identify which two processes go by whatever
numbers appear for the newest lines to see if those packages are still
running. You *possibly* can do that very quickly by placing your
newest numbers where I used "1136" in my example for terminal command
"ps aux | grep 1136":

$ ps aux | grep 1136
candyca+  1136  0.0  0.4 297668  4684 ?        Sl   Jan24   2:13
/usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.py --tray
candyca+ 25753  0.0  0.0   6384   796 pts/1    S+   15:13   0:00 grep 1136

Maybe, anyway. This is totally by the seat of my britches because no
one else had had a chance to answer yet. I'm bold in posting it
because it's actually working in a comprehensible way with my setup
here just this second. :)

That "reception only permitted for main" that you're seeing tells me
something's trying to share a message, sometimes simply an advisement
but also possibly a warning or error, in a way that it's not allowed
to do, but I'm not sure how *to attempt* to work through that without
knowing exactly what's involved.

My still naive reading of what you're seeing is that "PID 31376" is
trying to communicate with, hopefully just advise "inetd.service", but
whatever "PID 31376" is sending is only permitted to be used/accessed
by "PID 10222".

 thank you for your long answer, but alas it explains nothing...
 I don't know why I had 4 inetd running processes, and why some tried to
 communicate with an other one.

 today, I only have 1

best regards,
--