Re: Need help with Play on Linux

So, I did all that and then I tried once again to get Spotify to install without errors, but It still can't find the .dll file.

I posted a picture:
https://postimg.cc/wRLyFTyb
and added a comment about this in the PlayOnLinux forum under Spotify:
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-386.html

I think I give up. Other people have been having this issue for a while. Thanks oodles for your help. I did not know about adding the i386 to dpkg before you told me about it.

Let's take this a step at a time.

On 1/25/19 11:55 AM, Jiangsu Kumquat wrote:
> Here's some stats about the computer I'm running Play on Linux with:
>
> OS: stretch 64bit
> CPU: Intel® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz × 2
> RAM:  2.0 GiB
> Graphics: Intel® 945G (built-in video on the motherboard)
> I think I have located the driver for this video card but I'm not sure
> how to install it. I tried to install it as a regular program, but the
> setup program says that my computer does not meet the requirements to
> install it.

The Linux Kernel has built-in drivers for your graphics. No additional
drivers needed.

> I just added i386 to dpkg and installed wine32. This seemed to resolve a
> lot of problems.

Good!

> I successfully got the installer for a windows app to run. However it
> did not install correctly...
> I'm trying to install Spotify client.
>
> I installed "mono-complete" and "mono-complete:i386" but the installer
> still could not find mono.
> So I had the play on Linux installer install mono.
>
> *It complained that I do not have "wine-gecko" installed. *I cannot seem
> to resolve this.

Thats odd, PlayOnLinux should have prompted you to install wine-gecko.

> Spotify says that it could not find WINHTTP.dll and won't run.
>

> However, I did successfully manually install and run this software with
> default wine... although it doesn't require a lot of stuff to run. (It
> will run in DOS apparently) It's an audio spectrum analyzer.
>
> https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/Audio-SpectrumView.shtml
>
> Also, on the play on Linux main window, the capture plugin gives me this
> error:
>
> 01/25/19 09:03:52 - [main] Fatal: Please install alsa-base
>
> However, alsa-base is not available in stretch.

Have you tried installing Spotify via vanilla Wine, instead of PlayOnLinux?

> The attached log file is for Spotify. It doesn't say it in the file, but
> I am getting an error message that it cannot find WINHTTP.dll.

The only thing I can see that *might* cause a problem is that you are
installing Wine 1.7.35. Granted, this is the version that is in Stretch,
but it is a very old version. Perhaps try installing it from Stretch
Backports, then reinstall Wine, and see if that helps. Also, Spotify
appears to be problematic with Wine outright.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8514

To install from backports, first add backports to your repos.

# echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main" | tee
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports
# apt update

Then install (or in this case, re-install) Wine

# apt install \
      wine/stretch-backports \
      wine32/stretch-backports \
      wine64/stretch-backports \
      libwine/stretch-backports \
      libwine:i386/stretch-backports \
      fonts-wine/stretch-backports

This will install Wine 3.0.3 from backports, and should give improved
compatibility.