Re: missing avidemux Debian package

Re this:

On Fri 25 Jan 2019 at 17:38:26 (+0100), deloptes wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
>
> > And to be fair, that has been spelled out in the Release Notes ever
> > since etch was released in 2007. Before that, the warning was less
> > explicit.
>
> No idea what you are talking about, perhaps I am the only lucky one, or I am
> not using the apps that caused your problems

Who knows—I don't know what others are running, and I'm not the one
having the reported problem.

Quoting the passages:

Release Notes (etch, 2007-08-16):

4.2 Checking system status

The upgrade process described in this chapter has been designed for
upgrades from “pure” sarge systems without third-party packages. In
particular, there are known problems with third-party packages which
install programs under /usr/X11R6/bin/ causing problems with upgrades
due to the X.Org transition (‘XFree86 to X.Org transition’ on page
39). For greatest reliability of the upgrade process, you may wish to
remove third-party packages from your system before you begin upgrading.

Release Notes (stretch, 2017-06-16):

4.2 Checking system status

The upgrade process described in this chapter has been designed for
upgrades from ‘pure’ jessie systems without third-party packages. For
the greatest reliability of the upgrade process, you may wish to
remove third-party packages from your system before you begin upgrading.

Below there are two methods for finding such packages by using either
aptitude or apt-forktracer. Please note that neither of them are 100%
accurate (e.g. the aptitude example will list packages that were once
provided by Debian but no longer are, such as old kernel packages).

Cheers,
David.