Re: backintime

On Wednesday 16 January 2019 17:15:48 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I second the suggestion to learn version control, specifically git,
> and then force yourself to use it when editing your work. The
> discipline will pay dividends.
>
> That solves the problem of making accidental/incorrect changes.
> Don't forget to back up the git repository though, to protect
> against disk failure.
>
> For bonus points investigate ways to back up the config files of
> your whole computer.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

I hate to spoil your attempt at levity, but amanda is doing that every
night, to the whole, now 5 machine local network. For around 20 years
now.  Do I get the bunus poinrs anyway? ;-)

I also found a way to save a timestamped copy of everything I edit in
geany. Darned stuff was turned off by default, and rather well hidden in
the prefs. With my typing, fingers run at about 10% of brain speed, and
that path doesn't even have a crc checker let alone a overflow warning,
that was a builtin demolition crew.  Just one of the "fun" things that
don't grow old with grace. OTOH, and despite recovering from a pacemaker
implant 8 days back, (my pulse was down in the mid 30's) I have had the
great good fortune to have outlived all my childhood enemies. I can say
that I've had a good ride but will be worn out and leaking oil by the
time I slide up to the gates, just not yet. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)