Re: Slow boot

On 1/11/19, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>> On 1/11/19, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > As an experiment -- try this:
>> >
>> > echo udev_log=\"err\" >> /etc/udev/udev.conf
>> >
>> > (Or, alternatively, edit /etc/udef/udev.conf and insert/change
>> > that as necessary.)
>>

>> Manually editing sounds like a good route because mine says this when
>> you get there:
>>
>> # udevd is started in the initramfs, so when this file is modified the
>> # initramfs should be rebuilt.
>>
>> "[S]hould"... Sounds like some of that should/shall/will.... and must
>> (??) coming into play.
>
> Yes, it needs to be followed by running:
>
> # update-initramfs -k all -u
>
> or similar. Thanks for the catch!

You're welcome. It was a nice side bonus from lurking along from the
sidelines. Having read that, it occurred to me that it would be
interesting to:

1) Enter that change but don't update then monitor appropriate files
for short period of time.

2) Next update initramfs then monitor those files again.

3) DELETE that change but do NOT update initramfs then monitor same files again.

4) Lastly update initramfs over that deletion then monitor one last
time to see what, if anything, changes.

I'm a-suming it would possibly/likely turn out similar to how we
*must* run update-grub after making changes to /etc/grub.d... if we
would like to see our manual changes do anything useful, that is. :)

PS This is one of those cases that falls under a different thread...
that one (or more) about personalized tweaks under locations other
than /home/user. I'm imagining this kind of tweak possibly getting
zapped on the next upgrade that includes /etc/udef/udev.conf.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *