Re: Looking for advice on tools (or libraries) for unsupervised, bulk symmetric encryption/decryption of files

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 10:18:47PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
The standard encryption technology for linux is LUKS. It works on the
block device level, not the file level.

LUKS would be no good if the user wants to move/copy/share the encrypted
files, encrypted, elsewhere: they didn't say so explicitly but that's
the impression I got reading their message.

I believe that the most commonly used software for file level
encryption is EncFS. I haven't really used it much, and can't speak to
its long term stablity.

EncFS should not be used for any new file encryption project, IMHO.
There was the following report in 2014:
https://defuse.ca/audits/encfs.htm
This is referenced in the NEWS file in the EncFS package
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/encfs/blob/debian/sid/debian/NEWS

Both the report and the NEWS file are 5 years sold so I am not sure of
its current status but I'd want to seek positive assurance.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland