remmina toolbar icons missing using stretch-backports

On my stretch system, I just upgraded remmina to 1.2.32 using stretch-backports. It works fine except now many of the toolbar icons show [X] as if they're are missing.

Some are OK, such as Tools, Preferences, Screenshot. Missing ones are: Resize, Toggle Fullscreen, Switch Tabs, Toggle Scaled Mode, etc.

I imagine this is just peculiar to backports and that a system running testing might be OK, and it should fix itself when buster is released, but is there anything I can do to fix it now?

Here is what I have from backports. I had to grab libssh-4 because remmina depended on a newer version.

dpkg -l  |awk '/^ii/ && $3 ~ /bpo[9]/ {print $2}'
libayatana-appindicator3-1
libayatana-ido3-0.4-0:amd64
libayatana-indicator3-7:amd64
libfreerdp-client2-2:amd64