Re: Taming the "lsblk" command

On 2019-01-09, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> On 01/09/2019 08:14 AM, David Wright wrote:

>>> I'll see that affection for mundane angle brackets and raise you the
>>> annoyance of not having received the vaguest clue as to what might be
>>> found literally inside them (the pertinent part, at the very least).
>>
>> I don't think the OP told us what the script was,
>
> 'Cause ain't written yet ;)
> I needed to know if the data was available in a suitable format.
> As this should be in a script initialization section, I believe
> redirection is more appropriate than pipes.
>
> One line of my script will be:
>    > lsblk -l -o name,label | sort > /home/richard/mydata.txt
>
>> but just that they
>> want to pipe the output into "a script". Using angle brackets from the
>> start (or knowing that script itself is a program) would have avoided
>> the mess in the other subthread.
>
> I had no problem interpreting Jude's post.
> My personal convention would have been to write it as
> "lsblk -l -o name,label | sort | myscript".
>
> BUT. I read Jude's and Reco's posts at midnight.
> Reco's answer of "lsblk -l -x name -o name,label" was better.
> I just tried Jude's as I read it after Jude's.
> I should reply only when really awake ;/

Hello. Once again I didn't read carefully and thought I was responding
to the Felix Miata subthread with the bash errors in *his* <script>,
which I believe exists.

Sorry for sowing confusion.

*Par ailleurs*, in the general context, I was looking at a method that
involved creating a variable rather than using redirection to a file. I
guess the following could be integrated directly into your
yet-to-be-written <script>.

list=$(lsblk -ln -o name,label | sort)