Re: Multitasking, through Multiple Text Windows

On Sun 06 Jan 2019 at 00:57:15 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:
> David Wright composed on 2019-01-05 23:43 (UTC-0600):
>
> > On Sat 05 Jan 2019 at 14:04:19 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> On demand gettys are a systemd [mis]feature. I don't like waiting on them either.
>
> > What do you mean by "waiting on them"? I don't *wait* for them even on
> > my 650MHz Pentium III.
>
> Switch to a vtty and there's no login prompt until an annoying number of seconds pass.

That's odd, and I don't think I could suggest anything to help.
As for a workaround, my own approach would be to type Alt → (or
Windows ←, or whatever) six times rapidly before logging in.
It takes two seconds and while you're logging in, the other
VCs would be starting up.

As for your workaround, is there any reason for avoiding absolute
paths when making links, ie wouldn't this do the same thing?

#!/bin/sh
 cd /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
 cp -a /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service /lib/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service
 sed -i 's/TTYVTDisallocate=yes/TTYVTDisallocate=no/' /lib/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service
 ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service ./getty@tty1.service
 systemctl start getty@tty1.service