Odd Emacs behavior in Message mode with auto-fill-mode

I use Emacs as my editor for neomutt.  I use a custom init file to start a new
	Emacs session in the terminal regardless if Emacs is running already.
	Since the upgrade to Emacs 26.1, auto-fill-mode appears to be broken.
	No longer does it automatically break the lines when I am typing and
	when I press M-Q, it wraps the lines but indents the second and
	subsequent lines like this.

Even worse, it no longer wraps the lines that are quoted in the email message
	with M-Q by prepending them with the quote character.  Instead I get a
	single quoted line and the rest are indented unquoted.

Do I need to go back to using Vim?

- Nate

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB