Re: Upgrade Problem

On Fri 04 Jan 2019 at 14:02:27 -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> On 01/04/2019 01:11 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> > Stephen P. Molnar composed on 2019-01-04 12:57 (UTC-0500):
> >
> > > I haven't messed around with partitioning since the early days of
> > > Slackware, and that was with a great deal of trepidation?
> > You just multiplied my curiosity about what exactly was responsible for your current partitioning
> > scheme, not to mention what will be used for your planned reinstallation.
> The installer for Debian Stretch has an new option thzt  thought I'd try.:
> separate /home, /var and/temp partitions.

I don't regard that option as new. Not in 2018/2019 and not from the
present d-i.

> Over the last 50+ years as  Research Scientist I have tried to follow the
> policy that it's all right to make mistakes..  As long as you try not to
> make the same mistake in the same contiguous four hours - that is if you
> make a mistake in the morning, wait until that afternoon to repeat it.  But
> even more important from the mistake and try not to repeat it. I think that
> making mistakes is an integral part of the scientific method.
>
> Of course, there is a corollary - you can't teach an old scientist new
> science.

You have not read Robert Boyle or Isacc Newton in recent weeks? That's
all apart from the idea that there is nothing new to be learned. Did
you say you are a scientist? Apparently not a physicist, anyway.

> Having babbled for the last two paragraphs, I'll close buy saying that I
> will revert to the entire installation on the same partition.

That's the best. Ignore LVM advocates.