Re: Upgrade Problem

On 01/04/2019 12:13 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 05:47:07PM +0100, steve wrote:
Le vendredi 04 janvier 2019, Stephen P. Molnar a écrit :

where useful in that they convinced me that reinstalling the OS is the
simplest remedy for the problems.
You're welcome. But this last sentence is pretty sad because normally,
issues like yours do not require windows-style operation. For your info,
I have not reinstalled my Debian system for the last 15 years.
Reinstalling is a solution but what if in ten days the same issue arises
again? You'll ask the same questions and won't have learned much…

One of the power of GNU/Linux is that you can learn and fix problems.

I am not sure if Stephen went with an LVM solution, though I hope he
did.  Given that his former partition scheme was problematic for his use
case and that it was based on static partitions, the reinstallation
route may have been the best course.

It is important to remember that adjusting a static partition layout is
a high risk operation for even a highly skilled system administrator who
has performed the operation multiple times.  I suspect that if Stephen
even considered the possibility of attempting that sort of operation,
that he rightly judged the time investment required and likelihood of
causing irreparable damage to his configuration were justification
enough to reinstall.

Sometimes one just wants to get the job done and fiddling around with
system issues becomes more of an obstacle than an opportunity to learn.

Regards,

-Roberto

I haven't messed around with partitioning since the early days of Slackware, and that was with a great deal of trepidation? As far as computer OS's are concerned I hope that the days of fools rush in are a thing of the past.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant