Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

On Fri 04 Jan 2019 at 19:31:05 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:

> deloptes (12019-01-04):
> >						      We just pointed out
> > that you do not have to be a sysadmin to operate a computer.
>
> And you are wrong. Operating a computer requires a sysadmin, there is no
> way around it. If there is no dedicated one, that makes the user the
> sysadmin. Their choice whether they become competent or not;

Using the facilities on a computer is what a user does, just like the
simple task of switching on an electric light in a house.

If by "operating", deloptes means "using", I think I could agree. If
he means change the bulb or mend the fuse or go down to to the local
substation to fix the problem we are outside the province of a user's
remit. How about deleting a power station or two to get the lights in
the house working?

The problem with computers is that a user says "this is *my* computer
and I will do with it what I want. Consequently, the easiest way to
happiness is to destroy the system and rebuild. Competence with system
administration and its philosophy is hardly at the forefront in the use
of computers.

Having said that, a full partition does require sensitive treatment. It
hasn't received it in this thread.

--
Brian.