Re: Upgrade Problem

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 10:47:26PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> Stephen P. Molnar composed on 2019-01-03 15:39 (UTC-0500):
>
> > root@AbNormal:/home/comp# df -hl
> > Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1        23G   23G     0 100% /
>
> As others have noted, this is your root if not entire problem.

It seems so, and it should be fairly easy to fix. Stephen, please
resist the cries from others to "just reinstall". I think it would
be an unnecessary step and a sad outcome.

> Your / is more than 4.2 times the size of mine.

Certainly 23G in / seems excessive. There's bound to be something in
there that can be removed.

> Your /var/cache/apt/archives/ might contain more than 10 times the rest of /
> combined,

Unfortunately this is the wrong direction to go because Stephen
already has /var on a separate partition. Any savings made here will
not help for /.

It's unfortunate that LVM was not used as it would make juggling
space between the multiple filesystems a lot easier. Oh well.

Stephen, I think you're going to have to analyse where the space is
being used. If you use a graphical desktop then there might be a
graphical application that can help with this. On GNOME it's called
Disk Usage Analyzer. On the command line you could try something
like:

$ sudo du -xh / | sort -rh | less

Explanation:

"sudo" - do something as root

"du -xh /" - report disk usage of the / filesystem without going
into other filesystems ("x"). Report figures in human-readable units
("h").

"sort -rh" - pipe that through sort to get a sorted list, in reverse
order (biggest first, "r"), with the input being in human-readable
units ("h").

"less" - finally pipe it through the pager "less", so that it
doesn't all scroll off screen.

Hopefully the top few entries stand out to you as some large files
you put somewhere and can do without. Sadly unless things stand out
to you, it's going to be hard for us to recommend what you can
remove as we don't know what is on there that you need.

I find it unlikely that you have installed 23G of packages through
normal apt and as you are not a sysadmin I hesitate to suggest that
you start removing packages that you aren't 100% familiar with, in
case you break your system. But, you could do:

$ dpkg -l | less

to get a list of all packages installed through the package manager,
to see if there is anything that stands out to you.

My hunch though is that you will have a lot of downloaded files in
/root or some big apps from outside the package manager installed in
/opt.

Cheers,
Andy