Re: Installing from live

On Mon 17 Sep 2018 at 19:36:24 (+0200), Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,

> Thakur Mahashaya wrote:
> > > tell me why the network is better?
>
> David Wright wrote:
> > I follow this list, and keep an eye on others' reported problems;
>
> Indeed, we had some failure reports with "live" of Debian 8 (iirc).
> For a short while the advise of makers of "live" was "do not use for
> installation".

> But all known problems seem to be fixed. At least the download page
> does not mention them any more:
>   https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
> The images are still named "live install". If the installation feature
> was untrusted, i'd expect the word "install" to be removed.

Yes, I'm not claiming that it can't be done, nor that it is difficult,
but just that I've read more posts where difficulties were reported by
users. By definition, my opinion is based on hearsay, and as I'm not
motivated or organised enough to index my collection of posts, it's
not worth my time to spend it searching around for references.

As we were given a binary choice, mine was obviously for netinst.
Others are welcome to post their disagreement. But I can't recall
seeing a preference for installing from live media expressed here.

> Whatever, both "live" and "netinst" do not contain most of the Debian
> packages. When you need to install some further packages, this will be
> done via the internet.
>
> So if Thakur's installation works fine so far, there is not much
> difference to expect with an installation from "netinst".
>
> "netinst" is supposed to be used by more people for installing than
> "live", and it is the much smaller download.

Cheers,
David.