Re: Sound in Stretch

Joe wrote:

> That's not on any compatibility list anywhere, but it has worked OK for
> years on Wheezy on the same computer hardware. Anyway, USB is USB, and
> there really shouldn't be compatibility issues for at least basic
> playback. I'm not trying to record or use SPDIF.

could be that support in the snd_usb_audio driver is not provided anymore
for this device or is not working properly ... and BTW USB is not USB -
there is USB1, USB2 and now USB3

I still think if you don't see the device, the card is unsupported in the
usb audio driver

So I looked for you in the kernel config - it looks like the hid you find
are the audio jack controls, but I do not see the second one.

I think it is a problem with the codec or you need to load SND_HDA_GENERIC
and SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA

perhaps they are not autoloaded

you could also try loading the intel hda driver, it should pull related (if
it succeeds to load without hardware)

regards

Symbol: HID_CMEDIA [=n]                                                                                                                            â??
  â?? Type  : tristate                                                                                                                                   â??
  â?? Prompt: CMedia CM6533 HID audio jack controls                                                                                                      â??
  â??   Location:                                                                                                                                        â??
  â??     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                              â??
  â??       -> HID support                                                                                                                               â??
  â??         -> HID bus support (HID [=y])                                                                                                              â??
  â?? (1)       -> Special HID drivers                                                                                                                   â??
  â??   Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:225                                                                                                               â??
  â??   Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y]                                                                                                               â??
  â??                                                                                                                                                    â??
  â??                                                                                                                                                    â??
  â?? Symbol: SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA [=m]                                                                                                                  â??
  â?? Type  : tristate                                                                                                                                   â??
  â?? Prompt: Build C-Media HD-audio codec support                                                                                                       â??
  â??   Location:                                                                                                                                        â??
  â??     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                              â??
  â??       -> Sound card support (SOUND [=m])                                                                                                           â??
  â??         -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=m])                                                                                            â??
  â?? (2)       -> HD-Audio                                                                                                                              â??
  â??   Defined at sound/pci/hda/Kconfig:189                                                                                                             â??
  â??   Depends on: SOUND [=m] && !UML && SND [=m] && SND_HDA [=m]                                                                                       â??
  â??   Selects: SND_HDA_GENERIC [=m]