Re: Sound in Stretch

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 16:22:38 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:19:09PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> >
> > There's no alsa-base in Stretch.
> >
> > Should there be some other way of producing sounds?
>
> If you're looking for alsamixer, it's in alsa-utils.  ALSA should just
> work out of the box for most users who skip the Desktop Environment
> during the installation (and therefore do not have to circumvent
> pulse).
>
> The only steps required for most people are to install alsa-utils,
> run alsamixer, unmute the master channels, and raise the volume of the
> master channels above zero.

Thank you for an extremely prompt reply, but I've been there and done
that:

alsa-utils is already installed at the requested version (1.1.3-1)

alsamixer

cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

I always used to start sound troubleshooting by looking in /proc/asound
to find out what the system thought my sound cards were, but that
directory no longer exists.

This, by the way, is a clean no-X installation of Stretch, running in
hardware that previously ran Wheezy, with working sound. The sound
'card' is a cheap generic USB thing, which the kernel is seeing.
Various sound modules are loaded. I presume I've got to install or
configure something else, but I can't find the slightest clue on the
Net. One Debian sound page refers to Sarge...

--
Joe

--
Joe