Re: red SATA cable corruption

Gene Heskett composed on 2018-09-11 22:29 (UTC-0400):

> On Tuesday 11 September 2018 21:34:27 Felix Miata wrote:

>> IMO, red because it's red is less likely than red because red was the
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^
*Less* likely, not unlikely. IOW, both happen, but red dye cancer less often
than SATA spec inadequacy.

> That red dye, if in contact with the wire, eats it up like some sort of
> acid, you can literally pour the copper out of the ends where you've cut
> it in two, onto a clean sheet of paper, as a dark brown powder that
> looks a lot like rouge.

I'm quite familiar with the above language. Google has found me many copies of
it, authored by you, dating back at least 10 years.

> so don't tell
> me about red being just a sata-1 slow cable.

I did not. Just the same, I doubt any properly constructed SATA-II or -III cable
with a red outer jacket would allow its red dye to come in contact with the
conductors (unlike SATA-I):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#/media/File:SATA3-TwinAxCable.jpg

>  You can buy them today,

I know, and pink, blue, green, yellow, black, tan, etc. But that particular
magenta shade, I'm doubtful you'll find without trying *really* hard. If you do,
it's likely old stock.

I did buy red relatively recently, long after my first exposure to the problem,
but in spite of "them" (technically adapters, not cables) being red, because of
the difficulty finding any that are not red:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7637
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7638

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/