Re: red SATA cable corruption (was: File with weird permissions, impossible to delete)

On Tuesday 11 September 2018 21:34:27 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2018-09-11 21:21 (UTC-0400):
> > Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> >> I would first identify the *cause* and replace all unreliable
> >> hardware before bothering to restore from backup. If you have
> >> noticed some corruption, you likely also have some unnoticed
> >> corruption. Continuing to use unreliable hardware wastes your time
> >> and endangers your data.
> >
> > I will 2nd and 3rd Bens advice. Bad cables have been the huge
> > majority of such nefarious goings on. Particularly if they are
> > bright red and 4+ years old, put a tail on the log, and prod the
> > cable gently with a wooden pencil.  If the log blows up, bad cable,
> > replace it with any color but red. Preferably a month ago...
>
> IMO, red because it's red is less likely than red because red was the
> dominant color of SATA1 cables, not designed for SATA2 or SATA3 speeds
> newer hardware is designed to use. IOW, if the cable is red, quite
> likely it is speed limited, regardless whether the red dye is exposed
> to its conductors.

That red dye, if in contact with the wire, eats it up like some sort of
acid, you can literally pour the copper out of the ends where you've cut
it in two, onto a clean sheet of paper, as a dark brown powder that
looks a lot like rouge.

As a C.E.T., I've been battling with the cable failures its caused since
the J.A.Pan company took over the two way radio we here in the USA call
Citizens band in about 1969 or 1970.  That brought with them, the first
of the J.A.Pan made microphone coiled cables, all of which had that
bright red, almost magenta dye in the wire they used for Push To Talk
control.  Its average life ranged down to 6 months in some cases. Even
the truckers who depended on folks like me to keep them on the air
noticed and happily paid 4 or 5x the cost of the J.A.Pan cable, for an
American made cable.

I'm a retired old fart, be 84 in 3 weeks and I've been chasing electrons
for a living and making then do useful work since around 1949, had a 1st
phone since 1962, and been a Journeyman C.E.T. since 1972, so don't tell
me about red being just a sata-1 slow cable.  You can buy them today,
with a sata-III blurb on the bag, but it still only lasts 3 to 5 years.
Black, tan, blue just fine, and I have these other colors in my other 5
systems, some of which are as old as sata itself, but only one non-red
cable has failed. And when cut in two, the wires were fine, but the gold
flash on the connectors was gone, or never existed.  Cheap cable, came
with the last WD drive I ever bought, and the drive itself was gone in
less than 10k spinning hours. Seagates? Spin them up and replace them
when they are too small for the job. The last one I pulled had 77,000+
spinning hours on it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)