Re: Encrypted e-mails?

On Friday 07 September 2018 12:20:49 Default User wrote:

> I am not suggesting that this thread be "suppressed", but perhaps it
> should be marked [OT]?
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com>
wrote:
> > Gene writes:
> > > As the situation now stands, an encrypted email is a bright red
> > > flag in front of the bull in a china shop, so they will expend a
> > > lot of cpu cycles to read it because if it didn't contain
> > > sensitive data, it wouldn't be encrypted in the first place.
> >
> > While I find the behavior of the intelligence agencies morally
> > repugnant as a practical matter they are not part of my threat
> > model.
> >
> > > The encryption insures that it will be read...
> >
> > It *may* be scanned by software.  A lot more goes into the decision
> > to attempt to decrypt an encrypted message than the mere fact that
> > it is encrypted.  Most likely it results in an addition to a
> > database of IPs known to emit encrypted messages.  It almost
> > certainly won't be read.
> >
> > > ...then a small maybe that it will be delivered to the
> > > addressee.
> >
> > It will already have been delivered.
> >
> > > If its a trigger msg, you can bet it will be printed for later
> > > perusal by a grand jury and the digital copy will be delivered to
> > > /dev/null.
> >
> > It will mark the sender and receiver for investigation.  Why would
> > they tell their enemies that they are reading their mail?

I don't think they should advertise it, but that doesn't prevent them
from stationing a SWAT team just inside the door to their latest plans,
with their van parked a block away in front of a bank.

This "cat" has many ways of losing its skin that totally outweigh
considerations about how they obtained the info that let them meet force
with even more well trained force. And if there aren't any survivors,
the secret is still well kept.  At least till the swat team member
decides to write a tells all book.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)