Re: recovering a partition table

https://ubuverse.com/recover-a-disk-partition-with-testdisk-and-gparted-live/

> > It seems the problem was that it wasn't really deleted at all, just
> > 'disks' (the software program) being a bit useless and saying it
> > was. I
> > had wondered what I had done to cause it as I was fairly certain I
> > had
> > double checked what I was doing. I had deleted one partition ready
> > expand another into it when 'disks' decided to play a trick on me.
> >
> > Slightly worrying when it tells you there is one big empty drive,
> > and then gpart reporting this
> >
> >   Warning: more than 4 primary partitions: 6.
> > Partition(Linux swap or Solaris/x86): primary
> > Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): primary
> > Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): primary
> > Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): primary
> > Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): invalid primary
> > Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): invalid primary
> > Ok.
> >
> > is a bug in that piece of software?
> >
> > There is actually one primary and one extended all are ext4.
> >
> > gparted reports all is good.
> > Risked a reboot and everything is just fine.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dom.
>

> It looks like the logical partition has been removed, I don't think
> I've
> seen that before.  And rebooting brought it back, lucky you. :)

It hadn't actually been removed, 'disks' was reporting incorrectly. I
was very careful not to reboot until after I was 95% certain it was
there and gparted confirmed it. I combined the two partitions I wanted
to so, primary is swap and extended is still all the rest however gpart
still says:

root@goodoldmusic:~# gpart /dev/sdb

Begin scan...
Possible partition(Linux swap), size(9536mb), offset(1mb)
Possible partition(Linux ext2), size(953673mb), offset(9538mb)
Possible partition(Linux ext2), size(476836mb), offset(963212mb)
Possible partition(Linux ext2), size(47683mb), offset(1440049mb)
Possible partition(Linux ext2), size(419996mb), offset(1487733mb)
End scan.

Checking partitions...

* Warning: more than 4 primary partitions: 5.
Partition(Linux swap or Solaris/x86): primary
Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): primary
Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): primary
Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): primary
Partition(Linux ext2 filesystem): invalid primary
Ok.

So I would say still a misreport from gpart and 'disks' (in Buster) is
just somehow broken and risky to use.