Re: [Off-topic] Was: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018, 14:43 John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
Gene writes:
> In my case that would have been Korea. I was quite ready to find a
> steady and make a few babies, but not if I was going to get drafted
> and killed.  So I had the board move my name to the top of the list,
> but I made a mistake on the AFQT and scored a 98, condeming me to
> carrying a little yellow card proclaiming I was 4F'd for the next 40
> years. They didn't want anyone who could think for hisself because he
> wouldn't obey orders.

I tried that.  Didn't work.  The Army had a lot of radio and telecom
equipment that needed fixing.  They did try to get me to go to OCS, but
I wasn't stupid enough to accept.  I milked the invitation for all it
was worth, though.  The CO of my Basic company was an OCS graduate so I
got to spend time the other guys spent doing pushups in his office
listening to his sales pitch.  Eventually he caught on.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com