Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Tuesday 04 September 2018 11:09:07 Dan Purgert wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Aren't academics grand? :)

> >> Well, at least he was okay with change.  Many academics aren't (and
> >> it's a right pain to deal with them - 'son, I've had tenure since
> >> The War*')
> >>

> >> *OK, maybe not quite that long ... :)
> >
> > Depends on which war.:) I had a round with the air force at EAFB in
> > the early 60's.
>
> We were flying a bombing mission to Daiquiri at 1800, coming in from
> the north ...
>
> (Also wasn't "The War" specifically WWI?)

It may have been, but that war has survivors you can probably count on
one hand, missing a finger or 2. Over in '17 or so, and I wasn't even
born till '34. So The War to me was WW-II. (or later) I can remember my
grandfather as he turned off the battery powered radio on Dec. 7th, 1941
after the news, with tears flowing like a river as he knew the
declaration of war would come as soon as a quorum was assembled the next
morning, if not before.  Born in 1898, he lived thru that war so had
first hand knowledge of the word war.

Yeah, I'm an old fart, now gimme the discount. :)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)