Re: Downgrade to Stable

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> A few days ago I downgraded my Debian installation from Sid to Stable by
> changing, in /etc/apt/sources list, all occurrences of `unstable' to `stable'
> in:

> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>
> # non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> and then doing
>
> # aptitude update
> # aptitude install dpkg apt aptitude
> # aptitude full-upgrade
>
> But still, at log in in tty console, there is:
>
> Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid lennovo tty1
>
> How come?

  hello, this is rarely supported fully in many
packages (hard enough to just insure a forward
upgrade path for all the versions possible).

  i don't recommend this because you may need to
purge and reinstall every package and there may
still be odd things left-over (configuration
changes, data for users, caches, logs, etc.).

  this is why it is usually a much better idea to
set up a different partition or USB stick or
something to load it on and then you can move
data/files/whatever over as you need it and then
eventually you can wipe the old partition.

  best to make complete backups of everything
first.

  songbird