Re: Downgrade to Stable

On 2018-09-04 12:31:03 +0200, Pétùr wrote:
> As suggested by the link of Dan Ritter, you can change the behavior for
> apt and force the installation of a selected version of packages (ie
> stable). However, I do not recommend this. For example, there is no
> guarantee the configuration of packages can be downgraded. It is much
> simpler to backup data and reinstall stable.

Agreed. Downgrading some individual packages to stable (e.g. due
to a bug) is often fine (manual checks/fixes might be needed),
but I would never downgrade a full system.

If one goal was to keep some configuration changes in /etc, then
backup /etc, but do not restore it. Just do a recursive diff and
see what may need to be changed again.