Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 05:22:34PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >It prevents the deletion of emails that the same login client, on
> >a different box setup for imap, from losing their email corpus.
>
> This sounds like "I'm from the government. I'm here to help you not
> harm yourself."

This is what I call "Emergent Evil". Emergent behaviour "just happens"
at a higher organizational level, without the involved individuals
"knowing" what they are doing. Like an anthill developing a "new"
behaviour different of that of an ant.

In this case, the driving force may well be that it's more hassle for
the ISP to deal with the furious customer who's just lost five years
of mail archives by his/her own dumb mistake than with those others
grudgingly clicking their way through that (invariably horrible)
Web "interface".

To note, and to try to address the "cui bono"? question, the real
profits go to the silos (Facebook, Microsoft, Google et al): by
making mail hardly bearable, those are going to reap the benefits.

Since they have some control over the mail clients too (ever used
Outlook? 'Nuff said), I'm sure they do help to make the water in
the well less tasty, to "help" people in the decision to buy their
bottled water.

It's not a downright conspiracy. It's more subtle. Those bigcorps
are masters in riding this pattern I call Emergent Evil. Otherwise
they wouldn't exist.

> It's just more dumbing down to the lowest common denominator Gene,
> and it means less freedom of choice for the glue-enabled in order to
> spare the others their daily ration of embarrassment.
>
> That's my story and I may, or may not, stick to it.

I already mentioned posteo.de and mailbox.org. I'm sure you can use
IMAP there as it was intended to work. My challenge to you all: find
a similar service in your country (i.e. a mail service which may cost
something, but not much: e.g. around 1x minimum hourly wage in your
country/year), and where *you* are the customer, not the procuct.
Donation-based is also fair game. The kind of service you'd recommend
your best friend.

In the US, perhaps riseup.net?

Post it here.

Cheers