Re: [Solved, largely] Re: Latest version of X not starting in buster

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 20:19:15 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 16 Jun 2018 at 12:06:24 +0200, Siard wrote:
>
> > Now in some local list, I've heard someone maintain that starting X
> > with startx is very old, untested, deprecated, certainly in a
> > systemd environment. A display manager would control various things
> > concerning your login session in cooperation with systemd.
> > I've never heard of that. Is it true, should one refrain from using
> > startx nowadays?
>
> Old? Indeed. Prehistoric even. :) That's its charm.
>
> Untested? Not at all; many test it all the time
>
> Deprecated? By whom? And why?
>
> Refrain from using it? It works well on Debian.

+1

I use startx manually (my Stretch system by default boots to a
terminal), but don't use a desktop or environment, just Openbox as a
window manager and a single LXPanel.  Plus, I use sysvinit as the init.
Although the systemd libraries are still there for dependencies.
Easier than trying to have a systemd-free system.  No problems so far.