Re: [Solved, largely] Re: Latest version of X not starting in buster

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:44 -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 6/14/18, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> > >
> > > Which init package do you use? On my systems it's sysvinit-core.
> >
> > systemd at the moment.  sysvinit-core is not installed.
>
> Just throwing this out there. xinit is mine (on Xfce4). It's always
> high on my to-do list immediately after initial debootstrap installs.
>
> While searching my inbox to see what had come up in the past,
> xserver-xorg-legacy had a few mentions related to startx/xinit. One
> person, Debian user Jason, experienced success by *removing* it
> instead of installing, but I don't know the advisability of going that
> route since I've never had to tinker with it myself. :)
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/07/msg00640.html
>
> And user Gareth discovered that their window manager had been removed
> during an upgrade:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00222.html

Jörg-Volker's post prompted me to upgrade xserver-** to 1.20.0 taken
from unstable, and everything is fine again.
Since upgrading xserver-xorg-core caused a whole bunch of packages with
'xserver' in their name to upgrade with it, I'm somewhat reluctant to
downgrade all that to 1.19.6 to sort out what was wrong.

Now in some local list, I've heard someone maintain that starting X
with startx is very old, untested, deprecated, certainly in a systemd
environment. A display manager would control various things concerning
your login session in cooperation with systemd.
I've never heard of that. Is it true, should one refrain from using
startx nowadays?