Re: Help needed with home network configuration

On Friday, March 16, 2018 04:48:50 AM Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:26:38 -0400
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> > I haven't paid attention to this thread from the beginning, but
> > looking at the sketch, I'm wondering what the purpose of the 2nd
> > router is?  Why not instead of a router put a switch there, and then
> > (assuming you need another WiFi access point at that position), plug
> > the 2 PCs and a wireless access point (not sure of the right name)
> > into the switch.
>
> The network between the routers is a low-security DMZ, with access to
> the main network only through the port-forwarding of the second router.
>
> I have an Internet router, which provides occasional wireless for
> visitors, and a server acting as a firewall leading to the rest of the
> network, so there's no wireless access to the main network, though I do
> have an old wireless router that I can plug in if I need it temporarily.

Ahh, understood, thanks!

I haven't had the need to do that, and I'm not quite sure how I would go about
it, but (thinking on the fly now), I might try putting a switch immediately
after the modem, with two routers plugged into that, then a router and one
firewall (and one WAP) for the DMZ, and the 2nd router, with a stonger firewall,
and 2nd WAP for the LAN.

(I like switches ;-)  (Of course, most routers incorporate a switch, iiuc.)