Re: Help needed with home network configuration

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 09:42:25 PM David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 15 Mar 2018 at 10:18:20 (-0700), Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018, David Wright wrote:
> > > When you reprogram routers with dd-wrt, does that allow it to do, say,
> > > wired bridging even though the manufacturer's formware doesn't allow
> > > for that?
> >
> > openwrt and dd-wrt both allow wired bridging[1] (or pseudo-bridging by
> > routing if your wireless hardware doesn't support that).
> >

> > 1: I suppose there might be some network hardware which doesn't support
> > actual bridging of wired interfaces, but I've yet to see such an
> > example.
>
> I think the router I've been using for the last few years is one.
> Although the User Manual from May 2013¹ has a brief section on
> bridging, the June 2014² revision is missing that part. Both have
> a "Wireless Repeating" link on the figure for Advanced Wireless
> Settings, but the link is not present in the actual configuration
> screen on the device.
>
> In any case, the May 2013 manual says that to use it as a repeater,
> even wired, you have to set security to WEP or None. That's no use.
>
> I wandered into BestBuy and couldn't find much about bridging on
> any of their router boxes. (Obviously I'm eschewing so-called
> WiFi Wireless Repeaters.) What I'm trying to ascertain is that
> all the wired bridging functionality is performed by the software
> and not any special hardware in the device.
>
> Required topology:
>

>             ╲│╱                   ╲│╱                 ╲│╱
>          ┌───────┐             ┌───────┐           ┌───────┐
>          │W     L╞    CAT5     │W     L╞═PC        │ ROKUs │
> [Modem]══╡A     A╞═════════════╡A     A╞           │  etc  │
>          │N     N╞             │N     N╞           └───────┘
>          │       ╞═PC          │       ╞═PC
>          └───────┘             └───────┘
>

> ¹ WNDR3400v3_UM_10May2013.pdf
> ² WNDR3400v3_UM_19June2014.pdf

I haven't paid attention to this thread from the beginning, but looking at the
sketch, I'm wondering what the purpose of the 2nd router is?  Why not instead
of a router put a switch there, and then (assuming you need another WiFi
access point at that position), plug the 2 PCs and a wireless access point
(not sure of the right name) into the switch.

(That, in essence. is how my local LAN is setup except I have a router with
two switches and two wireless access points, each plugged into one of the
switches (different parts of the house).