Re: Problems with KDE in Debian Stretch

Daniel Bareiro composed on 2018-03-10 13:42 (UTC-0500):
> hardware: a Thinkpad T530.

> About five days ago, after researching the Internet, I tried adding this
> configuration in Xorg:

> ---------------------------
> viper@orion:~$ cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
>    Driver      "intel"
>    #Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
>    Option      "TearFree"    "true"
>    Option      "DRI"    "3"
> EndSection
> ---------------------------

Have you ever tried the default driver? Search tells me T530 has HD Graphics
4000 on Ivy Bridge, roughly 5-6 years old, which ought to work with it if not be
optimal. It's built into the Xorg server in Stretch. To use can take as little
effort as not having xserver-xorg-video-intel installed, but in your case it
will likely require eliminating or modifying 20-intel.conf.

I have multiple Intel gfx machines, all older or newer than Ivy Bridge. All use
the integrated modeset(0) driver with any server newer than 1.16.x.

The Intel gfx driver hasn't had a formal release in going on 4 years, nothing
but cgit milestones since 2.99.917.
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/intel-linux/886898-ubuntu-debian-abandon-intel-x-org-driver-for-most-hardware-moves-to-modesetting-ddx

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/