Re: Multichannel audio listening

Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 10:39:19AM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> After learning, some months ago, thanks to listers' help, how to live record
>> into a multi channel audio file, I was wondering about the reverse problem:
>> now I have my multi channel audio file, e.g. composed by three different
>> channels.  Is it possibile (I guess it is), and how?, to send each of the
>> three outputs into a different loud speaker and so listen to the song...?
>>

> Hi Rodolfo,
>
> Ecasound is pretty convenient for routing audio.
>
> If you connect three powered speakers to the first three
> channels of a (sufficiently capable) soundcard and you're
> using ALSA (the default low-level linux audio API), it's
> pretty simple:
>
> For example,
>
> ecasound -i:3ch.wav -f:16,3,44100 -o:alsa,default
>
> If you need to fool around with the routing, you can do
> almost anything. For example, assuming  you have an
> 8-channel soundcard and want to route ch1 to ch5, ch2 to ch6
> and ch3 to ch7:
>
> ecasound -i:3ch.wav \
> -f:16,8,44100  \
> -chmove:1,5 \
> -chmove:2,6 \
> -chmove:3,7 \
> -o:alsa,default
>
> Maybe you need to add separate effects (e.g. volume control) to each channel:
>
> ecasound \
> -a:in -i:3ch.wav -o:loop,3ch \
> -a:ch1,ch2,ch3 -i:loop,3ch \
> -a:ch1 -chmove:1,5 -ea:80 \
> -a:ch2 -chmove:2,6 -ea:70 \
> -a:ch3 -chmove:3,7 -ea:60 \
> -a:ch1,ch2,ch3 -f:16,8,44100 -o:alsa,default
>
> There's a lot more you can do with ecasound, and there are
> various front ends that provide a higher level of
> abstraction.

Fantastic...  thanks, Joel.  I want to buy one of those multichannel
soundcards...  Do you think this one could be all right...?

https://www.strumentimusicali.net/product_info.php/products_id/51790/behringer-umc404hd.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuP7UBRDiARIsAFpxiRKgsptPW1qxkEw793ahs684ltlhyh5dcIgzLJXtDh39CZA8IEX3qgIaAnquEALw_wcB

Rodolfo