Re: How to create a PDF-Printer from the command line

On 2018-01-09, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>> > So could you now elaborate on step 1 of this "one-step" process?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > David.
>>
>> Like the other, more knowledgeable guy said.
>
> There are quite a few in this thread. Clue us in?

The person who responded directly to David's question quoted above,
whose name, exotic in the regions from which I hail, escapes my
remembrance.

>> pdftex will actually create a pdf out of a text file without complaint
>> if you put '\end' on a newline at the end of the text file (I wouldn't
>> recommend such a bare-bones approach, though, in my extremely limited
>> experience, for formatting reasons). Or you can just type '\end' in the
>> little interactive mode that comes up in the terminal when errors or
>> omissions are encountered.
>
> My pdftex complained madly about this and eventually threw the towel
> in.

I can't account for it. If I feed pdftex a latex file, it whines for
every latex command it encounters, but if I press enter on each
encountered command error in the interactive console (if that is indeed
the term for it) it eventually exits completely (maybe it wants me to
'\end') , producing a pdf file (the text of which comprises both the
unknown latex commands as plain old text as well as the text as, well,
pdf-style text, if you catch my drift).

--
"Ruling a large nation is like cooking a small fish" - Lao Tzu