Re: How to create a PDF-Printer from the command line

On Sun 07 Jan 2018 at 07:46:30 -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> I know this is not directly on point to the OP's question as subsequently

But it does treat conversion of files to PDFs, so you are not way off
base. Look at the variety of techniques people use: paps, a2ps,
enscript, cupsfilter, ps2pdf, unoconv etc. There probably isn't one
tried and trusted method which suits everyone; and we haven't exhausted
discussion of them all and how they could fit into a printing system.

> clarified, but I would point out that a variety of programs like txt2pdf exist
> (and work)--I assume, but don't know that they are available in the various
> Debian distros.

Which txt2pdf? I tried the DFSG free one at

https://github.com/baruchel/txt2pdf

Not in Debian, AFAICT, but download, put in /usr/local/bin and install
python-reportlab. Gives searchable PDFs, fonts can be selected more
easily than with cupsfilter or cups-pdf and it has UTF-8 support. Looks
useful.

--
Brian.