Re: kvm bridge network with systemd-networkd 802.3ad bonding

On 2018-12-30 3:04 a.m., Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 06:40:57PM -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
Any suggestions?
Keep your bonding as it is.
Forget about conventional Linux bridges, and do not use them ever.
Reconfigure your virtual machines to use macvtap (like suggested here -
[1]), you'll need 'bridge' mode.

Reco

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/virtualization_administration_guide/sect-attch-nic-physdev

Thanks Reco. I just went to my server's site (I lost remote access with the current network setup) and reconfigured the network to use macvtap for bridge. Once I did that it worked like a charm.

After getting rid of the /etc/network/interfaces file (again) and reinstating the [network] section of my /etc/systermd/network/management.xml file to assign a static IP, all I had to do was use

  virsh edit <servername>

to modify the network settings. Basically I changed the entire network interface segment to:

   <interface type='direct'>
      <mac address='xx:x:xx:xx:xx:xx'/>
      <source dev='bond0' mode='bridge'/>
    </interface>

where you would replace the "xx" with a valid mac address. When I opened the virtual machine using the Virtual Machine Manager gui, I noticed it wanted to use an rtl8139 device for the nic, so I changed that to virtio then fired it up.

Everything is running great. I've got the remote access back and the local area network is behaving itself.