Re: internet outages

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 11:34:27 AM EST Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Thanks for the script and the tool recommendation.

> Has Linux got a tool to check up on the router and find out if the

> router is doing its job?

> Before I mail logs into comcast, I want to make sure I've done all due

> dilligence on this end so if comcast isn't having a problem they don't

> catch any undeserved heat. A router replacement can be done if that's

> the source of these problems. On more than one of these outage

> occassions I have used a stylus and rebooted the router to clear any

> potential malware just in case.

Rebooting the router will not clear any malware that is in NVRAM. That is Comcast's job to diagnose and fix.

IMO, your due dilligence consists of testing things from the router to your PCs. So, the list of suspects is: router, inside network wiring, insdie the building electrical wiring and the pc. Most likely point of failure is the router in this case. You can also try jiggling ethernet wires to see if you can find a problem there.

Mark