Re: internet outages

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018, mark@neidorff.com wrote:

> Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:54:06
> From: mark@neidorff.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: internet outages
>
> On Saturday, December 22, 2018 10:16:58 AM EST Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Has Linux got tools that can run while a computer runs that can poll
> > several sites and log internet outages?  I figure a minute down time is a
> > failure and have experienced several of these where my wifi connection had
> > to be deactivated and reactivated to have the internet connection
> > restored.  This is a new wifi router too.  The log would be sent into
> > comcast along with payment requesting credits for the down times.
> >

> > --
>
> >From your description of the problem, it sounds like it is the router that is not doing its job
> properly.  Before you send your request for credit, make sure that it is a Comcast problem.
>
> But, if you want to jost test when the net is down:
>
> Here is a script that you can run from a cron job which will log Internet status and store
> the results into a file  in your home folder called net-test.txt:
>
> #! /bin/bash
>
> date >> ~/net-test.txt
> ping -c 1 google.com >> ~/net-test.txt
>
> #end of file

Thanks for the script and the tool recommendation.
Has Linux got a tool to check up on the router and find out if the
router is doing its job?
Before I mail logs into comcast, I want to make sure I've  done all due
dilligence on this end so if comcast isn't having a problem they don't
catch any undeserved heat.  A router replacement can be done if that's
the source of these problems.  On more than one of these outage
occassions I have used a stylus and rebooted the router to clear any
potential malware just in case.