Re: Most reliable dual band driver/chipset

On 12/15/18, Tjm <tjm3@threedogs.net> wrote:
> I've been using an Alfa dual band USB3 wifi adapter and while it works and
> when it happens to stay connected it's fast and fine.  But it disconnects
> often for no apparent reason and won't reconnect by itself without removing
> and then reloading the module.  Built and tried several versions of the
> rtl8812au and found one branch that I've been using, v5.9.xxx versions work
> but with the connection reliability issue.
>
> Looking for a recommendation for an adapter and/or chip.

For the archives regarding problematic USB disconnections: I can't
remember if I've ever said this on this list. I've intended to so it
may be sitting in a draft email somewhere...

When other explanations don't fit and it's about laptops, the
unexplained disconnection can be about *heat* from the laptop's fan
exhaust. Well, depending on a desktop PC's layout, it could be for the
same reason there, too.

That was an accidental find of mine. I was having trouble with an
external hard drive doing the same disconnect game. It wasn't doing
that when plugged into the ports on the other side of the laptop.

One day I realized how HOT the affected USB connection was when I
reached up to unplug and replug while still thinking a loose or
degrading connection was the problem.

I blocked the fan's heat exhaust somehow, redirected that heat and
never had a disconnect problem again on that same port. That was, yes,
permanent success while still using that same external hard drive's
dock. In fact am STILL using that same dock ~five years later. :)

PS No, modules never played a part in that particular experience.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *