Re: question about usb socket on front panel

On 12/12/2018 14:04, Long Wind wrote:
sorry! this question isn't linux specific
there are two usb sockets on front panel of pc casethey appear same, but really are notwireless mouse can only be connected to one of them
could you tell me their difference? Thanks!

Bad connection on one port? USB front ports are often connected to the motherboard by a pair of internal cables. A bad connection would prevent the mouse from working. This could be caused by a flipped internal connector, loose connection, or bad cable. A flipped connection can prevent booting by shorting 5V to ground.

Do other USB devices work on the port that does not work with the mouse adapter?

Sometimes USB ports differ by speed (blue for USB 3, black for USB up to 2), or permit USB charging (lightning bolt symbol, supports higher current). Neither should affect a wireless mouse, because it is a low speed device, unless the mouse adapter just will not work with a hub at using a particular specification. The hub is internal and typically on the motherboard. The front USB ports I have seen are connected to the same hub so I would expect both to work or neither.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director