Re: About /dev/sr impatience with automatic tray loading

On Tuesday 11 December 2018 12:31:46 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 06:22:56PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Dan Ritter wrote:
> > > The English use it more than Americans do.
> >
> > In school it was a big deal to distinguish "will" and "shall".
> > (I was very eager to forget the exact rules when nobody cared any
> > more.)
>
> Americans (at least in my part of the country) never use "shall" at
> all.  To us, it simply sounds archaic.  We'd expect it in the King
> James Bible, or in certain kinds of fantasy literature.

Or in legal here in the US, where "may" tends to mean never for
personal/political reasons on the part of the county official in charge
and "shall" says will without a personal choice in the matter. We only
changed one word in a law from may to shall, 20+ years ago which the
same statewide. That was huge.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)