Re: librecad

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018, at 01:47, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 08 December 2018 17:53:01 Jeremy Nicoll wrote:
> [...]
> > The pid was there so that when writing and testing the script
> > I could tell which was which in taskmanager, which saw them
> > all as the same thing - an instance of the script language's
> > interpreter being run.
> >
> I can see where that could, if you "got your head" around it, be pretty
> handy. But half or more of my gcode mistakes are typu's. And the rs274D
> interpretor is very VERY good at recommending you learn to type. ;-)

In the music typesetting thing, one of the BIG problems was that a
sequence of things done via its GUI (obviously) changed the file, but
apart from my errors, bugs in the software meant that a session
reloaded from a previously-saved file didn't always behave as the
edit session where one had made the changes behaved.

I haven't used it for a while but I'm sorely tempted to learn how to use
another system [Philip Hazel (of Exim & PCRE)'s PMW], where plain text
files are interpreted to create PostScript scores.   I think that the non-
GUI approach suits me better.

> > The script is written in ooREXX

> Back when we did most of our scripting on amiga's, ARexx was the language
> to top all the rest...

Most of my REXX was written on MVS (now z/OS) systems and was what's
commonly called 'Classic REXX', somewhat predating even ANSI REXX.  On
a PC, I use ooREXX but nearly none of its oo capabilities - one can write
code that's very similar to Classic non-oo REXX.

> Computers are to reduce one's work, not multiply  it times 15. Call me
> lazy, but it "works for me"..

I'm no longer wholly enthusiastic about learning completely new things
(because of chronic illness) but I keep meaning to try to get to grips with
Linux... which is why I lurk here.   If and when I do, I expect to keep using
ooREXX.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.